Dragon Eye Atlas


From Dragon Eye Atlas

World Map[edit]

This Atlas is built using Semantic MediaWiki with the Widgets extension, getting mapping information from a GIS backend. The map widgets are built with Mapbox.

The map is created in QGIS using Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator as procedural generator for the large-scale. A simple script adds random details to the cells to increase the visual detail and make things less blocky at higher resolutions.

Town and City Maps[edit]

Watabou's Fantasy City Generator is used as the procedural generator for the small-scale maps, then converted to GeoJSON using a script I wrote by myself. The result is imported into QGIS and Centroids are determined in order to place building labels. A small amount of cleanup work is also necessary.

For the businesses and other details, I am using both and as well as several random name generators. A bunch of other generators such as provide additional details or inspirations.

Heraldry Generators used[edit]

There are many generators for heraldic shields, flags, etc - but not all of them follow the actual rules of heraldry. For a fantasy world, that is sometimes desired and sometimes not. Here are the generators that I have used:

Additional Scripts[edit]

To integrate everything and make my life easier, I also wrote a bunch of scripts to automate work steps:

  • add_random_points - does just that, it randomizes the cell data by adding additional randomized offsets (keeping topology intact). This adds detail and makes the voronoi cells of Azgaar's generator appear more natural.
  • fix_population - a simple script to parse and split up the rural/urban populations
  • get_bounding_boxes - a helper script to get the bounding box of an entity from a GeoJSON file
  • svg2poly4 - is my tool for converting Watabou's .svg output to a GeoJSON file. It isn't perfect, but it does the job.
  • merge_overlays - combines the four overlay output files from QGIS into one for Mapbox usage.
  • smw_province_stub and smw_town_sub - generate a simple stub output from the provinces.geojson file that I can copy into an empty Mediawiki page, with basic data and the mapbox template link pre-filled.